It’s very important to remember that our everyday habits greatly affect the planet, and only with small but important choices, we can improve our health and wellbeing in an affordable, effortless manner.
However, most believe that green products and habits are costly or time-consuming… We understand the point, but honestly, nothing could be farther from the truth!
You ready to start taking care of yourself and things that surround you, however, not sure where or how to start? You’ve come to the right place. As of now, take a note of the next old three steps of environmental care: Reduce, Reuse, Recycle.
Our everyday habits greatly affect the planet!
Therefore, for your convenience, here we have collected 9 easy and eco-friendly ways to improve your everyday life:
1. Save trees
Save nature and money, both at the same time, by trying this few tips. Regulate how much paper you actually use.
- Choose washable hand towels and cloth napkins instead of paper.
- When you really need to purchase it, try picking recycled paper. They are easy to make and are also a great money-saver!
- If you are printing something, reasonably small font and wide margins should be your choice. Do it on both sides of the sheet of paper, whenever you can.
- Bonus: You don’t have to always take a blank sheet to write something on. In most cases, you can simply replace it with scrap paper.
2. Reduce your plastic use
Probably you already know this…But plastics take an immense amount of time to decompose. For the most part, everything from bags to plates ends up in the ocean, and it takes 10 to 1000 years for them to break down. This is incredibly dangerous for all the animals.
Rather, replace your plastic items with eco-friendly alternatives. Whether it’ll be food containers, utensils or water bottles…Things made of materials like ceramic, stainless steel, glass, etc., will go a long way. And, yes, take a reusable cloth bag when you go to the grocery store.
Replace your plastic items with eco-friendly alternatives.
3. Get indoor plants
Houseplants are not merely a nice decoration for your home. Even more so, they absorb different types of toxins and require little maintenance. Over time, you will feel that it has become way easier to breathe. Especially such a clean air!
Before considering getting any plant to clean the air in your home, be conscious of the lighting, temperature, and water requirements of your new indoor plant, and how you can fit your home to those necessities.
4. Pay attention to your water heater
Probably, at the moment of reading this, your water heater has the standard 140 °F. If you have properly installed tempering valves and anti-scald devices in your home, you’re fine. This will be great for your health, as most bacteria simply cannot survive at this temperature. Just be sure to use cold water most of the time, as it can be quite expensive.
Anyway, the ideal temperature range for you and your family will be something between 122-129 °F (Safety vs Comfort Balance). It is actually a great eco-conscious decision and may help you to save much energy and money.
The ideal temperature range for your water heater is something between 122-129 °F
5. Get the most of your thermostat
If you can’t turn off your thermostat completely, just change settings. In the summer set it to the highest comfortable temperature. The best choice for you will be 78 °F (26 °C) when you’re at home, and 88 °F (31 °C) if you’re away.
In the winter you’ll need to do the opposite, stick to 68 °F (20 °C) in the first case, and 64 °F (18 °C) in the latter. This way you can save a great deal of money on the electricity bills!
6. Walk or ride a bike
Walking and biking aren’t only great exercises. Moreover, you will save much money on gas. Not to mention that they’re one of the best ways to release stress…
But if you still need to use a car, consider going together with someone by setting up a carpool. Remember, fewer cars on the road means fewer emissions.
Besides, make sure to clean your car often. The less weight you’re carrying around means using less fuel, which is amazing for your wallet and the planet.
7. Stop wasting water
There are many ways you can save water while doing house chores. Here are some tips you can follow to avoid wasting this precious liquid:
- Doing laundry should be as eco-friendly as possible. Choose a front loading washing machine over a top-loading one, since they consume less energy and water. In addition, you can save even more by washing mostly in cold water, and only full loads.
- You can apply the previous rule to dishwashing, too. Only cold water, and only full loads. Make sure your dishwasher is certified by Energy Star!
- Take shorter showers and baths. Just because you spend a long time in the shower, doesn’t mean you’re actually getting cleaner. Similarly, turn off the water while brushing your teeth or shaving.
- Choose cold showers. Another good tip to follow is to take cold showers more often. They’re much better for your health than hot baths, and also save you money on water heating. Once you start doing it, you will notice the great benefits cold water can give to your hair and skin!
Just because you spend a long time in the shower, doesn’t mean you’re actually getting cleaner.
Why throw everything away when you can recycle? It’s the easiest way to improve your wellbeing while keeping a green lifestyle. Imagine if everyone did it— the positive impact on the environment would be incredible! However, keep in mind that paper, plastic, and glass are not the only recyclable items.
For example, you can use water bottles to create your own terrarium or bird feeder, and their caps to craft colorful rainbow or a beautiful fish. Now imagine if everyone did it — the positive impact on the environment would be incredible!
9. Eat and cook healthy
Save the Earth while improving your health and reduce spending with these pointers on how to cook more green meals:
- Plan and prepare your meals in advance. This will award you with extra time on the weekdays and can make a big difference in your life. You will no longer need to go to the store every day. You will know when is your next meal and what it contains. Thus, your willpower will gain in strength. You will free yourself from excessive stress and reduce the likelihood of impulsive purchases.
- Buy only local and ORGANIC veggies. Choosing locally grown fruits and vegetables will be good for you, the farmer and your community. Make sure to look for organic, non-GMO and chemical-free ones. Such food have more nutrients and better flavor. They’re also better for the environment because require less fossil fuel to get from the market to your table.
- Use a pressure cooker or toaster oven when making small meals. You will save a lot on the bills, and they’re great for creative recipes! Defrosting, boiling, baking, broiling, or toasting in various temperature ranges is no longer a problem. Particularly when you want to do it faster.
- Start your own garden. With the abundance of different vegetation, your garden can be transformed so that it will look like a magical world. The main feature here is that YOU get to choose what and how to grow your veggies. With little to no negative impact on the world, right? Except for this, gardens don’t need large spaces and you know exactly where everything came from…yet it may be sometimes more expensive.
- Cut down on your meat consumption. Its production is really harmful to the environment due to the high level of gas emissions and waste generation. For an instance, all the cars, planes, boats, trains combined accounted for less emissions compared to livestock. At the very least, when choosing an animal product, go for those produced with organically-fed animals. Animals treated in a more humane way.
When choosing an animal product, go for those produced with organically-fed animals. Animals treated in a more humane way.
To wrap this up
We hope that with these few green lifestyle tips we sparked some cool ideas into your mind. In the end, when it comes to improving your wellbeing, the simplest actions always make the biggest positive impacts on our health.
It is always important to keep in mind that the more we take care of the planet, the more our health will improve. In the same way, eco-friendly alternatives are fundamentally the best choices you can take when it comes to constructing a better living standard.
And by following these tips not only you can actually save money and time, but you will create a positive influence on others. So, put our green advice in practice as soon as possible!
If you have any suggestions or would like to contribute with your opinion, leave us a comment down below!